Friday, December 30, 2011

Food: Mediterranean Sweet Potato with Chicken


Hey everyone! 

I hope your plans for New Years Eve are going well and that you have something exciting to do! I'm planning to have a few friends round to my house for some home-cooked lasagne and other delightful edible goodies. I absolutely love cooking but haven't done it for a good while and I thought i'd do something a little different on my blog and share one of my favourite dishes with you. 

I didn't follow a recipe for this and sort of got a little creative in the kitchen.  I first made this chicken back in late August and absolutely loved it! I tend to eat really light food during the summer months and didn't want to go too heavy on the carbs, and so chose to use some sweet potato.

Ingredients (serves 2): one regular sweet potato, half an onion, 3 cloves of garlic (crushed) one or two chicken breasts, 1/3 of an aubergine, 3 or 4 tomatoes (or tin tomatoes), olive oil, salt and pepper, vegetable stock cube
Method: thinly slice aubergine into circular discs and place on a plate roughly 30 minutes prior to cooking - drizzle olive oil (i like quite a bit on it but it's up to you) with salt and pepper to season and leave to stand. chop onions, crush garlic and place in a bowl with chopped tomatoes - season with a tablespoon of olive oil and crush a tiny bit of vegetable stock (i add a tiny bit on warm water to the mix). chop the sweet potato into cubes and place in an oven-proof dish. put half of the onion/garlic/tomato mixture in the dish, then place your chicken on top with the aubergines on top and then add the rest of the mixture. cook at around 175C for about 30-40 minutes. ENJOY! 
note: keep a watchful eye as i've found cooking time can vary

Hope you enjoy whatever you do to bring in the new year! :) 
Aisha xoxo 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that looks yummy and sounds relatively easy to do :) I might have to give this a go when I get back to uni. Happy New Year, Aish xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little something, something :)